Thursday 24 November 2011

Chinese Opera



Injustice to Dou E is one of famous chinese operas. I know this story but I have never seen the chinese opera before. I find some clips on the Internat which are really fascinating. Anyway, although I don't want to design for the typical chinese opera. But I think know the knowledge of chinese opera will help me to do my project.


The stage design of chinese opera is very different from westen opera. Almost nothing on the stage; usually there are only one table and two chairs.

    

The table and the chairs can be anything. For example, some times the table can be a mouton, a bridge or a bed etc. But most of time the desk is a desk.

The table is a bed now!

At frist I wondered about why there are only few things on the stage, after I read some information I found out that was because in the past chinese opera was played in public space, the function of the stage should be easily moved. That why in chinese opera just few stuff on the stage. Nowadays, it became a characteristic. People enjoy use their imagination when they see the play.

Not only the stage but also props were simplified.  


This is a "house".


The person is riding a house. 


Chinese opera is amazing, it shows the beauty of Chinese culture. And I think use imagination is a good idea! Sometime if things are too real, it will become not interesting any more. 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment