Monday 23 July 2012

The Peony Pavilion & Impression Liu

Actually before I started to do my works, I also researched some site-specific performances in China. The first one was The Peony Pavilion in ancient water town Zhujiajao which helped me understand how could Chinese Opera be performed in a real space, especially it was the same play and also near by lake. I could know learn the advantages from them, for example, the lighting skill. The second one was Impression Liu which was modern site-specific show but the story was an ancient Chinese story. Compare to The Peony Pavilion, Impression Liu was much bigger. The show was performed between the mounts and water. So this show was a good reference for my last stage (the huge palace). This two high quality site-specific show let me know that Chinese audience accepts traditional script site-specific play. 

I think my design is between this two performance. Mine idea is bigger than The Peony Pavilion in ancient water town Zhujiajao but smaller than Impression Liu. 






   

The Peony Pavilion in ancient water town Zhujiajao which was a site-specific performance in historical interest exactly in an traditional Chinese garden. About the set design, designer did change much from the site. Just like Mike Pearson mentioned in his book Site-Specific Performance " Location can work as a potent mnemonic trigger, helping to evoke specific past times related to the place and time of performance and facilitating a negotiation between the meanings of those times." 



The reflection on the water was the effect I wanted to achieve.  






They used the bright light to enhance Du Liniang's emotion when she went to the garden frist time.  





The soft and warm yellow light came with her lover.





Cold white light when she went to the Underworld.


Unfortunately, I didn't see this opera in person. But it's still very useful for me that I could clearly knew how this opera work on the lake via these pictures. 









Impression Liu

Impression Liu was a high budget production site-specific performance. Six hundreds of performers acted on the huge lake. Every set with beautiful light effects, they even lighted up the mountains beside the lake. Light and reflection combined together became a fascinating picture. 
     
























No comments:

Post a Comment