Sunday 22 July 2012

the Pavilion & the Study Room

According to the DVD version of The Peony Pavilion, I decided to create five stages in Highflied Park lake. The frist stage is "the Pavilion & the Study Room". My first thought about study room was "frames". The study room like a jail locked Du Liniang. But she tried to get rid off it. So I wanted to create a three layers frame to symbolic rules framed her life. 


White wall with an circle entrance is a characteristic in Chinese garden. It looks like a frame. So I used this idea in the study room.   



But I changed the shape. I used the he fan-shaped entrance which comes from “book-shaped” window in Chinese culture. Du Liniang goes to the garden from there which means she gets rid of those rules. 





About the pavilion, I chose hexagon-shaped roof. “Six" is a fortuitous number in Chinese culture. On the other hand, “six" is a unlucky number is Western culture as well. So the hexagon-shaped roof means this beautiful pavilion not only will bring her a sweet dream but also lead her to death. 




I used white and deep blue. because in mandarin, we say "white wall with deep blue tiles" which represents south Chinese building. (Chinese garden was from south China.)  

  



    

No comments:

Post a Comment