Monday 2 April 2012

The situation of Taiwanese theatre industry

Today I am going to talk about Taiwanese theatre industry.

Actually, before I came to the UK I didn't really understand the situation of drama in Taiwan. I seldom went to drama, but in fact, I love going to see drama; the problem is even in Taipei it's hard to know that what is on now. (It's not like that you can see lots of drama commercial in London. Maybe you can see some but just a little bit.) Thus, I always thought that the situation of Taiwanese theatre industry is unprosperous.

However, it's not that bad as I thought. after I did some investigate I found out that there is a organization named Taiwan Association of Theatre Technology (TATT). It contributes help to Taiwanese theatre industry a lot. 

For example, 

Four commissions of TATT are currently at work:
  A. Architecture Commission
  B. Scenography and Theatre Technology Commission
  C. Education Commission
  D. Publication and Communication Commission 

(quote from TATT's website http://www.tatt.org.tw/index-e.asp)

On the other hand, according to Li, Chyi-Chang's (who is a theatre professor in Taiwan) easy The Brief Introduction of Drama in Taiwan, It talked about in this 30 years more and more people work in this area. Some of them use their knowledge which learned from abroad and some of them use their enthusiasm to create numerous fascinating drama. Those successful drama made many famous theatre companies and celebrities. For instance, Ping-Fong Acting Troupe, Godot Theatre Company, Greenray Theatre Company, Performance Workshop and lan lin Theater.

But professor Li also mentioned about actually Taiwanese theatre industry is not unprosperous but also not prosperous. "The current situation of Taiwanese theatre industry is it is hard to maintain subsistence without playing new drama but lose money when the company bring out new show. Even those famous theatre companies have to be support by government." One of the main reasons is no many audiences. I have interviewed professor Li and a Taiwanese theatre student Juo, Yu-tung. Professor Li thinks why people don't go to theatre because the drama is not attractive enough. If the story of drama is interesting, people will go defiantly. On the other hand, Juo thinks it's because there are too many drama too abstract for folks, cause people don't want to spent money for going to theatre. For me, i agree what they say. I have been a drama because of the story, I also went to an abstract drama which made me don't want to go again. 

Nevertheless, theatre industry is growing. More and more people work in the area with their passion. Famous theatre companies keep bring new drama; small group try to performance with little money. "It is geting better." professor Li told me.          


  


reference (It's a wrong form, I will change it.) : 



Dissertation: A Research of Postmodern Strategies for Modern Theater Management in Taiwan: the Development of “Non-large-scale Theater” as Discourse Framework (盧崇真,2006)


Video: Interview--吳興國
          Interview--李國修
          Interview--金士傑 


Interview: 李其昌  卓予童



No comments:

Post a Comment